Register Your Plot
Are you up for the challenge?
Seeds For Change has created a new initiative for York Region to grow 2,015 new food garden plots by the year 2015. We have thrown the gauntlet down to other regions in Ontario to take on the challenge in their own communities. This challenge will position York Region as the mobilizer, motivating Ontarians to become an integral part of the global food revolution.
The Ontario Horticultural Association (OHA) has joined the movement and is challenging their 19 districts to do the same.
The competition coincides with the Pan Am/ParaPan Games in Ontario and FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 – the largest single sports event for women in the world. In the spirit of these games, we will rally communities to improve the health and fitness of Ontarians by getting them gardening, eating more nutritionally and supporting local food initiatives.
Seeds For Change, and our growing number of partners, Whole Food Markets (Unionville), York Region Food Network, Shell and York Region Food Charter Group are committed to creating healthier neighbourhoods through food-producing gardens anywhere there is underutilized space – on a windowsill, balcony, backyard, rooftop, place of work, place of worship, in schools and community gardens.
Criteria for garden registration:
- Commitment to start a food-producing garden with the intention of continuing it to at least 2015.
- Register on website www.seedsforchangegardens.org
- Provide before and after photos of the site (not mandatory)
- Care for at least 3 food-producing plants/species
- Permission to use the land/space to grow food
- Use organic practices to grow food (no pesticides or chemical fertilizers)
- Food gardens must have been started after January 2012
- Commitment to share produce/knowledge with family and neighbours
- Ontario’s publicly funded education system consists of 72 school boards and 11 school authorities administering 4,020 elementary and 911 secondary schools serving over two million students. Imagine if there was a garden in every school!
- There are close to 450 municipalities in the province. Imagine if the 9 municipal offices in York Region registered with their own creative garden and challenged the rest of Ontario!
How to participate in this challenge? Register here for all Ontario Horticultural Association members and York Region residents. It’s simple.
2015 Registered Edible Garden Plots
District 1: Dundas, Glengarry, Prescott, Russell, Stormont - 0 plots
District 2: Grenville, Lanark, Ottawa, Renfrew - 0 plots
District 3: Frontenac, Hastings, Leeds, Lennox & Addington, Prince Edward - 0 plots
District 4: Haliburton, Northumberland, Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes - 0 plots
District 5: Toronto East, York Region East - 331 plots
District 6: Brant, Halton, Norfolk, Wentworth, Hamilton - 22 plots
District 7: Dufferin, Wellington - 0 plots
District 8: Bruce, Grey, Huron - 0 plots
District 9: Haldimand, Niagara North (Lincoln), Niagara South (Welland) - 0 plots
District 10: Thames Valley - 0 plots
District 11: Essex, Chatham-Kent, Lambton - 20 plots
District 12: Northeastern Ontario - 0 plots
District 13: Algoma, Manitoulin, Sudbury - 0 plots
District 14: Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay - 0 plots
District 15: Toronto West, Peel, York West - 253 plots
District 16: Simcoe County - 9 plots
District 17: Durham Region - 0 plots
District 18: Muskoka, Parry Sound, South Nipissing - 0 plots
0 - 100
100 - 200
York Region - 424 plots
Ontario Horticultural Association (OHA) - 211 plots
- District 1: Dundas, Glengarry, Prescott, Russell, Stormont
- District 2: Grenville, Lanark, Ottawa, Renfrew
- District 3: Frontenac, Hastings, Leeds, Lennox & Addington, Prince Edward
- District 4: Haliburton, Northumberland, Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes
- District 5: Toronto East, York Region East
- District 6: Brant, Halton, Norfolk, Wentworth, Hamilton
- District 7: Dufferin, Wellington
- District 8: Bruce, Grey, Huron
- District 9: Haldimand, Niagara North (Lincoln), Niagara South (Welland)
- District 10: Thames Valley
- District 11: Essex, Chatham-Kent, Lambton
- District 12: Northeastern Ontario
- District 13: Algoma, Manitoulin, Sudbury
- District 14: Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay
- District 15: Toronto West, Peel, York West
- District 16: Simcoe County
- District 17: Durham Region
- District 18: Muskoka, Parry Sound, South Nipissing
- District 19: Waterloo
Have images to add to the gallery? We'd love to see them! Please email them to us so we can add them!
Visit our YouTube Channel!